Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnston in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators

 
 
Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 5, 2010
1. Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker (front)
Inscription. [Front] Johnstonís first school opened on this site in 1873. The Male and Female Academy was a boarding school, with Rev. Luther Broaddus as its first principal. Alternately a private and public school during its early history, it was reorganized in 1884 as the Johnston Male and Female Institute. It became Johnston High School when it was sold to the town in 1906. A three-story brick high school was built here in 1910; it was torn down when the school closed in 1961.

[Reverse] Henry Simms Hartzog (1866-1953), superintendent of the Institute 1895-97, left Johnston to become the third president of Clemson College. Dr. John Lake, who succeeded Hartzog as superintendent, was later a Baptist missionary to China. Joseph Earle Jacobs (1893-1971), a graduate of Johnston High School who taught there 1914-15, was a career diplomat in the U.S. Foreign Service 1915-57, most notably as Ambassador to Czechoslovakia (1949) and to Poland (1955-57).
 
Erected 2008 by the Ridge Heritage Association. (Marker Number 19-17.)
 
Location. 33° 50.023′ N, 81° 48.237′ W. Marker is in Johnston, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Lee St. (State Highway 121) just from Academy Street, on the right
Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 5, 2010
2. Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker (reverse)
when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnston SC 29832, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnston Civil War Monument (a few steps from this marker); Johnston Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Johnston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edwards Building (approx. ľ mile away); Lott's Tavern & Post Office (approx. 1.2 miles away); Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward (approx. 4.7 miles away); William Barret Travis (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnston.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Persons
 
Marker and Memorial to Confederate Dead image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 5, 2010
3. Marker and Memorial to Confederate Dead
Johnston Elementary School Near Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 5, 2010
4. Johnston Elementary School Near Marker
Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker, looking north along Lee Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
5. Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker, looking north along Lee Street
Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker looking south image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
6. Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators Marker looking south
Johnston School gymnasium image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
7. Johnston School gymnasium
Johnston School gymnasium image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
8. Johnston School gymnasium
Built by Works Progress Administration 1935-1937
Johnston Public School
Built By
Works Progress Adm'n
and
Edgefield County
1937
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.   5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement