Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Benson Field
Decatur’s Football Stadium 1931 - 47
W. W. “Barney” Benson, Supt. Ed. 1927 - 38
H. L. “Shorty” Ogle, Coach 1934 - 64
Aubrey Fuller, Asst. Coach 1929 - 58
The “T” formation was introduced to Alabama here in 1941
On this field a generation of Decatur’s youth became men.
Erected 2004 by “Shorty’s” Boys.
Location. 34° 36.826′ N, 86° 58.788′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Oak Street Northeast and Line St, NE on Oak Street Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Rhodes Ferry Park at the end of Oak Street Northeast. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Captain, We’ve Got It At Last” - The Charge of the 14th U.S. Colored Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Leadership at Decatur - McCartney Hotel Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hood’s Middle Tennessee Campaign and The Battle for Decatur (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Decatur and The Civil War in North Alabama Battle of Decatur (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old State Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rising Sun Lodge No. 29 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 6, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.