Cheraw in Chesterfield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pee Dee Union Baptist Church
This church, formally organized in 1867, had its origins in Cheraw Baptist Church, founded in 1837. Shortly after the Civil War 285 black members there received permission to organize a separate church. Rev. Wisdom London, the first pastor here, preached from a platform erected on this site until a new sanctuary was built. The first church here, a frame building, was destroyed by a tornado in 1912.
The present brick church, replacing the original one destroyed by the tornado, was built in 1912 during the pastorate of Rev. Isaiah Williams. Three ministers have served Pee Dee Union Baptist Church for twenty years or more: Rev. F.W. Prince, who served here from 1915 to 1940; Rev. J.C. Levy, who served here from 1953 to 1974; and Rev. Thomas Dawkins, who served here from 1974 to 1999
Erected 2003 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 13-8.)
Location. 34° 41.805′ N, 79° 52.689′ W. Marker is in Cheraw, South Carolina, in Chesterfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut St. and Washington Street, on the right when traveling north on Chestnut St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 92 Chestnut St., Cheraw SC 29520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Old St. David's (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 71st Regiment of Foot (about 500 feet away); Cheraw Confederate Memorial (about 600 feet away); Francis Asbury's First Visit to S.C. (about 600 feet away); Captain Mose Rogers (about 700 feet away); Coulter Memorial Academy Site (approx. half a mile away); Dizzy Gillespie Birthplace (approx. 0.8 miles away); Greene's Encampment / Sherman's March (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheraw.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.