Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Amos Spaﬀord / Perrysburg
In 1810, early settlers here were Major Amos Spafford (1753-1818), his wife Olive (1756-1823), and their children Samuel, Aurora , Chloe (Mrs. Almon Gibbs), and Anna (Mrs. Richard Craw). In 1796, Spafford, a native of Connecticut, was a surveyor for the Connecticut Land Company. He drew the first map laying out Cleveland and named the city. He left there in 1810 following appointment as custom's collector and postmaster for the new port at the foot of the Maumee River rapids, Port Miami of Lake Erie. Spafford was granted a 160 acre land patent on River Tracts #64 and #65 in Waynesfield township, signed by President James Monroe and was able to purchase it following the 1817 Treaty of the Rapids that extinguished Native American claim. Two years later, 67 families lived in the area, but most fled at the outbreak of the War of 1812.
[Reverse Side of Marker]: "Perrysburg"
Following the War of 1812, settlers reestablished the Maumee River town nicknamed "Orleans of the North" hoping to rival to New Orleans in Louisiana Territory. The town was wiped out twice by spring ice flows. In 1816 the federal government platted a new town on the bluff, and Major Amos Spafford named it Perrysburg, spelling it Perrysburgh, in honor of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Perrysburg Ohio's Bicentennial Committee/Historic Perrysburg, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-87.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 33.018′ N, 83° 39.146′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue (Ohio Route 65) near Fort Meigs Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in front of the museum / visitor center that is part of the Fort Meigs state park facility. Marker is in this post office area: Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 17th Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons Fort Meigs / Introduction 1 (about 400 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 2 (about 400 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 3 (about 400 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 4 (about 400 feet away); Fort Meigs / Construction (about 600 feet away); Major Amos Stoddard (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 754 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.