Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bisbee in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Phelps Dodge General Office Building

 
 
Phelps Dodge General Office Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 2, 2010
1. Phelps Dodge General Office Building Marker
This marker is mounted on a rock on the right side of of the sidewalk.
Inscription. This building was the general office for the Bisbee operations of Phelps Dodge Corporation from 1895 to 1961.

In 1971 it was given to the City of Bisbee by Phelps Dodge and was designated as a National Historic Site by the National Park Service.

The building has been converted to a civic center and mining and historical museum by the Bisbee Council on the Arts and Humanities.


 
Erected 1983 by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 31° 26.517′ N, 109° 54.858′ W. Marker is in Bisbee, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Copper Queen Plaza, Bisbee AZ 85603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Copper Queen Plaza (a few steps from this marker); Brewery Gulch (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Bisbee Warrior Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Discovery of Ore
Phelps Dodge General Office Building image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 2, 2010
2. Phelps Dodge General Office Building
National Historic Landmark Plaque is to the right of the entrance.
(was about 600 feet away but has been reported missing. ); The Lavender Pit (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mule Pass (approx. 2.1 miles away); Walter Douglas House (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Warren Ball Park (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bisbee.
 
Regarding Phelps Dodge General Office Building. This building was designated as a National Historic Landmark on May 4, 1983.
Statement of Significance:
From 1896 to 1961, this building served as the headquarters of this mining company and is the only important early Phelps Dodge office existing in the U.S. This structure symbolizes the company's pioneer role in western copper mining, as well as its growth and adaptation from a family-owned East Coast mercantile house of the 1830s into a modern corporation.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Phelps Dodge General Office Building image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 2, 2010
3. Phelps Dodge General Office Building
Phelps Dodge General Office Building National Historic Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 2, 2010
4. Phelps Dodge General Office Building National Historic Plaque
Has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
This building possesses National Significance
In Commemorating the History of the
United States of America
1983
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,224 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement