Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Concord in Muskingum County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Muskingum College

 
 
Muskingum College Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 10, 2006
1. Muskingum College Marker
Inscription. The college was chartered by the Ohio General Assembly in March 1837. It was funded by a group of New Concord area residents, the Friends of Education. The original building burned in March, 1851. The College Hall was rebuilt by public subscription—primarily from area residents. The third college building, later named Paul Hall, was built in 1873.
 
Location. 39° 59.685′ N, 81° 44.111′ W. Marker is in New Concord, Ohio, in Muskingum County. Marker is on College Drive north of Main Street (U.S. 40), in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Concord OH 43762, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. College Drive Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); New Concord War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Concord (about 500 feet away); Robert Francis Harper (about 500 feet away); William Rainey Harper (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Concord.
 
Also see . . .  Muskingum College. This brief historical sketch is the best I could find online. The college's website does not discuss its history (or if it does, it keeps it well hidden). (Submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
The Marker and Johnson Hall, Built in 1899 image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 10, 2006
2. The Marker and Johnson Hall, Built in 1899
You might have to click on the image to zoom in to see the marker, which is on the left next to the second lamppost. Johnson Hall now houses the theater and art departments, the Louis Palmer Art Gallery, and the Layton Theater.
Paul Hall, Built in 1838 image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 10, 2006
3. Paul Hall, Built in 1838
This building is a National Historic Site. Now houses the music department and practice rooms.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,374 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement