Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Orange Grove Hotel

 
 
Orange Grove Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Orange Grove Hotel Marker
Inscription. Erected in 1859, as a residence, by Capt. William Brinton Hooker, on the northwest corner of Madison and East Streets. A Georgia native, he moved to Florida in 1830 and signed its first Constitution in 1839. In 1843 Hooker settled in Hillsborough County and became Florida's pre-Civil War "Cattle King," owning over 10,000 head. He also commanded volunteer troops during the Seminole Indians Wars. Hooker's Point was named for him. During the Civil War, his house was used as Confederate officers' headquarters. In 1866, Hooker converted the three-story, 33-room wood frame structure into the Orange Grove Hotel, so named because of the orange trees planted on the property. From 1869 it was operated by his son-in-law, Judge Henry L. Crane. The hotel was Tampa's social center and entertained such figures as Gov. Henry L. Mitchell, Sidney Lanier, Thomas A. Edison, Gen. Wm. T. Sherman and Henry B. Plant. It boasted telephone service in 1882. Sold by Hooker's heirs in 1885, the building was later used as a hotel, railroad office, rooming house and finally as freight traffic depot for the Seaboard Railroad before its demolition in 1945.
 
Erected 1992 by Tampa Historical Society in Cooperation with Kyle S. Vanlandingham, a Great-Great-Great Grandson of Hooker.
 
Location.
Orange Grove Hotel Marker as seen along East Kennedy Blvd. (US 41, State Road 60) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 9, 2010
2. Orange Grove Hotel Marker as seen along East Kennedy Blvd. (US 41, State Road 60)
Currently the Courthouse Annex sits at the location listed
27° 56.958′ N, 82° 27.192′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on East Kennedy Boulevard (U.S. 41) near East Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John T. Lesley Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Hillsborough County's Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memoria In Aeterna, 1911 (about 500 feet away); John Fitzgerald Kennedy (about 500 feet away); War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial I (about 700 feet away); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II (about 700 feet away); 1851 1891 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Also see . . .  Captain William Brinton Hooker, Florida Cattle King, By Kyle S. VanLandingham. For over forty years he had played a prominent role in the pioneer life of south Georgia and Florida. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement