Summerville in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Town Hall
The Old Town Hall, built ca. 1860, is the oldest public building in Summerville. Rev. Robert I. Limehouse (1815-1881), a Methodist minister and the town intendant, or mayor, purchased the site for the town hall that year. A jail and market place also once stood here. In early 1865, in the final days of the Civil War, the village wardens left a meeting to defend Summerville from a band of raiders and killed one of them.
At least sixteen intendants served Summerville in this building between ca. 1860 and 1892, when a new town hall was built on the Square. The Old Town Hall, described as the "heart of the old village," was later a school, polling place, community center, tea room, and residence. Though badly damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989, the building was purchased and restored by the Summerville Preservation Society and is now the Society's headquarters and archives.
Erected 2000 by The Summerville Preservation Society. (Marker Number 18-8.)
Location. 33° 0.675′ N, 80° 11.267′ W. Marker is in Summerville, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker is on West Carolina Avenue near Congress Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alston Graded School / Alston High School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 2 miles away); Newington Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old White Meeting House and Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old Dorchester (approx. 4.3 miles away); Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Bell Tower of St. George's (approx. 4.4 miles away); Dorchester Free School (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Summerville.
Categories. • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.