Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons
Settlers and soldiers moving west brought with them familiar institutions such as the Masonic Lodge. Here at Camp Meigs, military officers were authorized by Ohio Militia Captain Henry Brush, Ohio Masonic Grand Master, to establish the first lodge in Northwest Ohio on September 13, 1813. Colonel William Anderson was Master, Lt. Col. William McMillan, Senior Warden, and Capt. Charles Gratiot, Junior Warden. Built under the command of Gen. William Henry Harrison, the fort was named for Ohio Governor, Return Jonathan Meigs.
[Reverse Side of Marker]: "Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons"
Garrisoned by less than 2,400 regulars and militia, Fort Meigs withstood two sieges by combined British and Indian forces, and played an important role in the northwestern campaigns of the War of 1812. Lt. Almon Gibbs commanded the final 40-man detachment which lowered the flag and retired the colors in 1815. He later served as the first Master of Norther Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons, founded March 5, 1817 in "Waynesfield" (now Maumee) and as the village's first postmaster and Justice of the Peace. [Masonic Symbol]
Erected 1992 by Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 33.005′ N, 83° 39.09′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue (Ohio Route 65) 0.1 miles east of Fort Meigs Road. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the parking area of the Fort Meigs, State Historic Park. In fact, it is situated in the center of the traffic island that serves to divide traffic to either the left or the right at the main entrance to the park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 902 West Indiana Avenue, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amos Spafford / Perrysburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 17th Infantry Regiment (about 400 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 1 (about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 2 (about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 3 (about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 4 (about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Construction (about 700 feet away); Fort Meigs (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
Categories. • Military • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.