Douglas in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Douglas International Airport
Designed by J. P. Sexton as the first and only truly international airport in the Americas, Douglas International Airport began operations in 1929. The Douglas airfield was connected with the Agua Prieta, Mexico, airport by a common north-south runway.
Early air travel between the United States and Mexico required planes to be cleared both for entry and exit of their respective countries. In other border cities, that meant a "hop and a skip" from one country's airport to the other country's airfield. With DIA, planes could land in one country, pull back the wide gate on the barbed wire fence on the border, and taxi across to the other country. Then, after clearing customs, pilots and passengers could resume the flight to their destination.
In 1929, the first Women's Air Derby, a transcontinental air race for women pilots (Amelia Earhart, among them), included Douglas as one of its stops. In October 1930, Douglas was a stop on the first transcontinental airmail route. Douglas International Airport became a successful commercial airport with regular airline service.
By the late 1940s most commercial
On December 30, 1975, Douglas International Airport was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2008 by Cochise County Historic Society.
Location. 31° 20.693′ N, 109° 30.656′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is on West Airport Road near 10th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas AZ 85607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mormon Battalion (approx. 1.7 miles away); Library Hall - The Douglas Public Library (approx. 2.4 miles away); Douglas Police Headquarters (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Categories. • Air & Space • Notable Events • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,239 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.