Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Harold C. Brooks / Fitch-Gorham-Brooks House
Harold Craig Brooks (1885-1978) was Marshall's mayor from 1925 to 1931, patron, and philanthropist. His interest in city beautification set a standard for preservation and adaptive use as early as 1921. He owned and protected more than a dozen Marshall buildings. Brooks is responsible for the design of the Marshall Post Office, the conversion of the Old Stone Barn in Town Hall, and presentation of the Brooks Memorial Fountain to the city. He donated land for veterans, the airport, recreational uses, and funds for education and hospital facilities.
Built by Jabez S. Fitch in 1840, this handsome residence became the home of Charles T. Gorham, prominent Marshall citizen, in 1848. Harold C. Brooks purchased the house in 1921 and contracted with landscape architect Jens Jensen to design the grounds. The Reverend John D. Pierce and Isaac E. Crary planned the Michigan public school system in 1834 under the oak now by the west entrance. This Greek Revival structure with five-column arrangement and side entrances reflects the New York heritage of the this city's early settlers.
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 512.)
Marker series. This marker is included Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 16.454′ N, 84° 57.827′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is on West Prospect Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Between Kalamazoo Ave. & Grand St. Marker is in this post office area: Marshall MI 49068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Miller / Hillside (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John D. Pierce Homesite (about 400 feet away); Honolulu House (about 600 feet away); Isaac E. Crary House (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); James A. Miner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles T. Gorham (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010. This page has been viewed 1,098 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.