Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jarrell in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cornhill Cemetery

 
 
Cornhill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Cornhill Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Established in 1886 on a two-acre site deeded to Cornhill Masonic Lodge No. 567 by Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Bridges. Interred here are community leaders, three Civil War soldiers, and veterans of other wars. Maintained by Cornhill Cemetery Association since 1953. Area now six acres.
 
Erected 1970 by the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9044.)
 
Location. 30° 48.124′ N, 97° 36.253′ W. Marker is in Jarrell, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on County Road 313. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jarrell TX 76537, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Harrison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corn Hill Community (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jarrell (approx. 1.7 miles away); Community of Theon (approx. 2.8 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); James B. Williams (approx. 6.8 miles away); Stockton Family Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); John Berry, Frontiersman (approx. 8.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jarrell.
 
Also see . . .  Handbook of Texas Online: Corn Hill, TX. (Submitted on October 8, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
James G. Wilkinson Gravestone image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
2. James G. Wilkinson Gravestone

 
Additional comments.
1. James G. Wilkinson Dedication
Shown on Photo 3.
James G. Wilkinson, Jr. was the grandfather of Sylvia Lula Wilkinson Harrison. He served in the army of the Republic of Texas; fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, participated in the Second, Third, and Fourth Congresses of the Republic; and was the first Chief Justice of Burleson County, Texas.

His wife, Amanda Hope Wilkinson, descended from a family of patriots. Her father, James Hope, was one of the "Old Three Hundred," Austin's first colony. Her three brothers and a brother-in-law, as well as her husband, fought in the battle of San Jacinto.

The gravestone placed here was moved from the original burial site on a farm once belonging to the Wilkinsons located near Dime Box in Burleson County.

The remains of James G. and Amanda Hope Wilkinson now lie in the State Cemetery where they were moved in 1938 by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
    — Submitted July 27, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
James G. Wilkinson Dedication image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
3. James G. Wilkinson Dedication
See the "Additional comments" for a transcription of this additional marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,090 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 8, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement