Bishopville in Lee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Apollos James House
William Apollos James (1857-1930), prominent local businessman and public servant, lived here from 1904 until his death. James founded the Farmers Loan and Trust Company and was its president for more than 20 years. When Lee County was created in 1902 James was one of the commissioners who laid out county boundaries and built a new courthouse. He later represented the county in the S.C. House in 1913-14.
This house, built as a one-story cottage in 1903, became a large Classical Revival house in 1911 with the addition of a large second story and wraparound porch. The garden here, laid out by a daughter, Sara B. “Tallie” James, is also notable for its 136 varieties of camellias. The house, donated to the Lee County Historical Society in 1995, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
Erected 2002 by The Lee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 31-14.)
Location. 34° 13.223′ N, 80° 14.893′ W. Marker is in Bishopville, South Carolina, in Lee County. Marker is on North Dennis Avenue, on the right. Touch for map. Located between West Council Street and Park Street. Marker is in this post office area: Bishopville SC 29010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Felix Anthony "Doc" Blanchard (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flag Park (about 600 feet away); Battle of Ratcliff's Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bishopville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee County Monument to the Confederate Dead (approx. ¼ mile away); Dennis High School (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Gordon McLeod (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bishopville High School (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishopville.
Regarding William Apollos James House. The William Apollos James House, built in 1903 and substantially altered in 1911, is significant as an example of an early twentieth-century vernacular rendition of a Colonial Revival style residence which grew from a modest Folk Victorian cottage. The house was built in 1903 as a lateral-gabled, one-story Folk Victorian cottage with a center gabled dormer. It was occupied by the James family in January 1904. A second story with hip roof, as well as a hip roofed wraparound porch with boxed classical piers, was added in 1911. The house follows the standard central-hall with four-over-four pattern of rooms. The front door, which is original, is framed by a three-light transom and three lights along each side with square and rectangular underpanels. It is also significant for its association
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.