Jefferson City in Jefferson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Carson - Newman College
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C42.)
Location. 36° 6.917′ N, 83° 29.576′ W. Marker is in Jefferson City, Tennessee, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Russel Avenue and Andrew Johnson Highway (Tennessee Highway 11E), on the right when traveling north on Russel Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jefferson City TN 37760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sarah Swann Hall (approx. half a mile away); Site of Original Land Grant by John Roper Branner (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Mossy Creek (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mossy Creek Engagement (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cox Mill "Little Lord Fauntleroy" (was approx. 3.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Frances Hodgson Burnett (approx. 4.1 miles away); David Crockett and Polly Finley (was approx. 5.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson City.
Regarding Carson - Newman College. Established as Mossy Creek Missionary Baptist Seminary in 1851, the school began by holding classes in a local Baptist church. Within a few years the institution became Mossy Creek Baptist College and occupied its own buildings on the site of the present campus.
In 1880, the college was named Carson College for James Harvey Carson (1801-1880), who left $15,000 of his estate to the school. For several years it existed alongside Newman College, a separate facility for the education of women named for William Cate Newman, who had donated money to the women's college. In 1889, the two colleges merged and became one of the first coeducational institutions in the South.
Also see . . . C-N History. (Submitted on November 23, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2010, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 924 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on March 10, 2010, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.