Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Crowfield Plantation

 
 
Crowfield Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Crowfield Plantation Marker
Inscription.
(Front text)
Crowfield Plantation, on the headwaters of Goose Creek, was originally granted to John Berringer in 1701. John Gibbes (1696-1764), a member of the Royal Assembly, sold it in 1721 to Arthur Middleton (1681-1737), also a member of the Royal Assembly. Middletonís son William (1710-1785) built a large two-story brick house here ca. 1730, naming it for Crowfield Hall, his great-auntís English manor.
(Reverse text)
William Middleton grew rice and indigo, raised cattle, made bricks, and laid out an elaborate formal garden. Rawlins Lowndes (1721-1800) bought Crowfield during the American Revolution; he sold it in 1783, describing it as “that elegant most admired seat.” The house was virtually destroyed by the Charleston earthquake of 1886. Later owned by Westvaco, Crowfield became part of the Crowfield Golf & Country Club in 1990.

 
Erected 2008 by The City of Goose Creek. (Marker Number 8-56.)
 
Location. 33° 0.21′ N, 80° 4.674′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Hamlet Circle, in the median. Touch for map. Located approx. 600 feet east of Hamlet Circle at the Crowfield Golf & Country Club, between Waveney
Crowfield Plantation Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 6, 2010
2. Crowfield Plantation Marker, reverse side
Circle and Spalding Circle. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. French Huguenot Plantation / Freedman's Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Broom Hall Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Elms (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Elms Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 2.2 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 2.3 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
 
Also see . . .  NY Times article, A Historic Colonial Garden Is Recovered From the Rough. By Paula Dietz Published: June 25, 1992
William Middleton was 19 years old in 1729 when his father gave him the 1,500-acre plantation that was named for Crowfield Hall, the family's English seat in Suffolk. The Middletons, who were prominent in colonial government, were part of the Charleston community that had originally been sugar planters in Barbados in the 17th century. Born in the American colony, William cultivated the rice that was called Carolina gold because of the high rate of return that made the low country planters so wealthy. (Submitted on March 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Crowfield Plantation Marker, at the entrance to the Crowfield Golf & Country Club image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 6, 2010
3. Crowfield Plantation Marker, at the entrance to the Crowfield Golf & Country Club
Crowfield Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 6, 2010
4. Crowfield Plantation Marker
Crowfield Plantation , view from the northwest image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey Photographer C. O. Greene, circa 1940
5. Crowfield Plantation , view from the northwest
Crowfield Plantation Northeast chimney detail image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey Photographer F.D. Nichols, circa 1940
6. Crowfield Plantation Northeast chimney detail
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,869 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement