Germantown in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Germantown Covered Bridge
Restored in 1963, the Germantown Covered Bridge on East Center Street, spanning Little Twin Creek, was 93 years old and is reputed to be the only existing covered bridge of its kind in the world. For 41 years this unique inverted bow string truss covered bridge spanned Little Twin Creek on the Dayton Pike in Germantown, Ohio. In 1911 it was removed to its present location where it has been restored and beautified as a link with Ohio's early history. It is a symbol of individual initiative in America's pioneer days.
This cherished old landmark, the Germantown Covered Bridge, was erected in 1870. In 1963 the bridge became dangerous and was closed to traffic and it was then the people of Germantown chose to preserve it as a landmark. A committee of twelve civic leaders was officially appointed by Mayor Ross Brewer, and the work started. Miami Valley business firms offered their services, evaluating the bridge as a genuine historic landmark and the work was completed without assistance from the village budget. The bridge symbolizes respect for American heritage and tradition.
Erected 1964 by Germantown Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-57.)
Marker series. This Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 37.571′ N, 84° 21.917′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and Water Street, on the right when traveling east on Center Street. Touch for map. The bridge spans Little Twin Creek about 500 feet north of the Market Street (Ohio Route 725) bridge over the creek. Marker is in this post office area: Germantown OH 45327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of Germantown (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shuey Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Germantown Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Germantown Dam (approx. 2.1 miles away); Heritage Village (approx. 4 miles away); Mound Laboratory (1946- 2010) (approx. 4½ miles away); Site of Mound Laboratory (1946- 2003) (approx. 4½ miles away); Miamisburg Mound (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Germantown.
Also see . . . Germantown Covered Bridge. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.