Near Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Samuel House Plantation
Cox’s division of Schofield's 23rd A.C. reached this vicinity July 18; Schofield, in person, with the div. was here joined by Sherman who established headquarters at the house.
Cox’s div. camped on the plantation; Hascall’s div., having traversed Cox’s line of march via Old Cross Keys, turned S.W. on Peachtree Rd. to Goodwin’s, then S.E. to Johnston’s Mill on N. Fork Peachtree Creek where it camped.
Erected 1984 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 044-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 52.533′ N, 84° 19.65′ W. Marker is near Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Peachtree Road (Georgia Route 141) 0 miles north of Ashford Dunwoody Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oglethorpe University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Cross Keys Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Solomon Goodwin’s Res. (approx. 1.5 miles away); a different marker also named Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 1.6 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text at this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission.
Regarding The Samuel House Plantation. The house is now the clubhouse of the private Peachtree Golf Club, and is difficult to see from the road.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,807 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.