Fairfax, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1855, fire consumed an earlier house on this site. Owner Albert Willcoxon had no insurance; so upon finishing this house—a center hall plan vernacular Greek Revival brick house with a double chimney on each end—he took out a $2,000 insurance policy in January 1860.
In July 1861, the Union Army reportedly vandalized the new home—“demolishing the window glass” and “tearing doors from their hinges.” Other Union soldiers sought refuge and convalesced here, leaving their names, inscriptions, and evocative pictographs on the still undecorated plaster walls.
A century later, Willcoxon descendants created a comfortable country home. They removed a rear kitchen addition and added a modern kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room (removed during restoration) on the north side. The present classical-columned front porch dates to 1948.
The house acquired the “Blenheim” name around 1900. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, the house is the centerpiece of Historic Blenheim and remains a vivid reminder of the area’s rural past. The interior is currently under restoration. The second floor and attic are not
Marker series. This marker is included in the Northern Virginia Civil War Graffiti Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 51.313′ N, 77° 17.563′ W. Marker is in Fairfax, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Old Lee Highway. Touch for map. The marker is located at the Civil War Interpretive Center at Historic Blenheim. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3610 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax VA 22030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dairy Barn Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Blenheim (within shouting distance of this marker); Blenheim (Willcoxon Farm) (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairfax (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Fairfax Elementary School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Baptismal Area (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pozer Garden (was approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Draper House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photograph captioned:
Mural: This c.1937 photograph shows the house with a Victorian-style front porch. A small frame addition seen at the right is a covered entryway. At the left in
Courtesy of The Library of Virginia
On the lower left of of the marker is a photograph captioned:
Left: Blenheim’s last two private owners, Marguerite “Daisy” Van Deventer Duras (right) and her daughter Barbara Duras (left) in 1945.
On the lower right of the marker is a photograph captioned:
Right: Theodor Raefle, Private, Company K, 29th New York State Volunteers, drew the crown, the symbol of his native Prussia, in Blenheim’s attic, replicated in the Civil War Interpretive Center.
City of Fairfax Historic Collections.
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Interpretive Center at Historic Blenheim. (Submitted on March 14, 2010.)
2. Historic Blenheim & Civil War Interpretive Center. (Submitted on March 14, 2010.)
3. Blenheim. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (.pdf) (Submitted on March 14, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2010. This page has been viewed 2,249 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2010. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.