Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Community life can be dated from 1837 when Griffin Young opened a post office in his store and eight men and women, “The Baptist brethren settlers of Youngsville” organized Fellowship Primitive Baptist Church. The store and the church were within view of this site.
For the first thirty-five years of its existence, Youngsville was a country hamlet of scattered farms, a store-post office and a church. The Civil War delayed the construction of the railroad and an ambitious plan by Griffin Young to promote a “town” on his property.
Anticipating the arrival of the railroad, the Town of Youngsville was incorporated in 1872 and, the next year, the town’s name was changed to Alexander City in honor of E. P. Alexander, president of the Savannah and Memphis Railroad.
Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 56.561′ N, 85° 57.449′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Alexander City: A Textile Community (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Needmore 1873 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Socopatoy (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,406 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.