Kure Beach in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected by Fort Fisher State Historic Site. (Marker Number 9.)
Location. 33° 58.321′ N, 77° 55.199′ W. Marker is in Kure Beach, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker can be reached from Fort Fisher Boulevard South (U.S. 421) near Battle Acre Road. Touch for map. This marker is located along the quarter-mile tour trail at Fort Fisher State Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1610 Fort Fisher Boulevard South, Kure Beach NC 28449, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shepherd’s Battery (here, next to this marker); Restoration of Shepherd’s Battery (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Shepherd’s Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); River Road Sally Port (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Fiasco - The First Battle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capture! (about 400 feet away); Lamb Expands the Fort, 1862-1865 (about 400 feet away); Growth of Fort Fisher, 1861-1862 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kure Beach.
More about this marker.
On the left is a period photo with the caption, "Despite two immense naval bombardments of approximately 20,000 projectiles each, all thirty covered rooms survived."
On the lower right is a period photo with the caption,"This photo of Shepherd’s Battery was taken in 1865 after the fall of the fort."
Also see . . . Fort Fisher. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 704 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 16, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.