Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Lufkin

 
 
City of Lufkin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 15, 2010
1. City of Lufkin Marker
Inscription. Founded 1882. Soon became a thriving sawmill community. Named for E.P. Lufkin, chief of crew that surveyed railroad through town. Has been county seat of Angelina County since 1892. Now a regional manufacturing and commerce center. Products include paper and wood products, oilfield pumps, trailers, and foundry castings.
 
Erected 1970. (Marker Number 8709.)
 
Location. 31° 19′ N, 94° 43′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on South Timberland Drive near Tulane Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in Kiwanis Park. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Lufkin (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Christian Church of Lufkin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whitehouse Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company (approx. 1.4 miles away); W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit (approx. 1.4 miles away); Angelina County
City of Lufkin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 22, 2010
2. City of Lufkin Marker
(approx. 1.5 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,135 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement