Pacifica in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
California State Park Commission
Erected 1953 by County of San Mateo in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association. (Marker Number 391.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition marker series.
Location. 37° 35.249′ N, 122° 29.626′ W. Marker is in Pacifica, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Linda Mar Boulevard, on the right. Touch for map. The marker is located inside the entrance gate to the park area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Linda Mar Boulevard, Pacifica CA 94044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Don Gaspar de Portolà (approx. 0.8 miles away); Discovery of San Francisco Bay The Little Brown Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); First Camp After Discovery of San Francisco Bay (approx. 4.4 miles away); The San Andreas Fault (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Moss Beach Distillery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Seabiscuit (approx. 5.3 miles away); Tanforan Assembly Center Commemorative Garden (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pacifica.
Regarding Sanchez Adobe. The Ohlones
From prehistoric Indian times through the adobe’s restoration in 1953 the site has been actively used. It was an Indian village, a mission outpost farm, a cattle ranch, an adobe home, a hunting lodge, quarters for field workers, and a speakeasy during prohibition times.
When Don Gaspar de Portola’s expedition arrived in the San Pedro Valley, they found an Indian village on these grounds. The valley provided the Ohlones with food and raw materials. They built simple dwellings of willow poles and tule mats. They were skilled basket makers and excellent hunters and gatherers. They used stone, wood and bone
Mission Dolores Outpost
As Mission Dolores was built on sand dunes, growing crops at the mission was difficult. The mission padres remembered this valley and started an outpost farm here which supplied the needs of the Mission. An archeological dig in 1978 uncovered the foundations of this outpost and the foundations are outlined today with logs to indicate the original size of the buildings.
This was the location of the 8,926 acre San Pedro Rancho awarded in 1839 to Don Francisco Sanchez by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado in return for his service to the Mexican Government by serving as the Commandante of the San Francisco Presidio. The boundaries of the land grant closely resemble the current day Pacifica city limits.
Sanchez built his adobe for his wife and nine children. The building was constructed between 1842 – 1846 on the foundations of the old Mission Dolores outpost. The adobe stands today, much as it did then.
New Owners and New Uses
Following the death of Francisco Sanchez in 1862, the home and part of his property was sold to Civil War General Edward Kirkpatrick. He extended the house with wooden additions and added a formal Victorian garden.
After Kirkpatrick moved away in 1908 the
During prohibition the adobe became a speakeasy called Adobe House. Whiskey stills were hidden in the artichoke fields that surrounded the area. At the end of Prohibition, the adobe fell into disrepair and became quarters for migrant field workers. In 1947 the County purchased the building and began restoration.
Source: Sanchez Adobe Historic Site Brochure
This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.391 on September 25, 1947 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1976.
Also see . . .
1. Sanchez Adobe. The Sanchez Adobe Historic Site by the City of Pacifica gives the history, events, directions and links to additional information regarding the history of the area and sites. (Submitted on March 17, 2010.)
2. The Sanchez Adobe Park. National Park Service information on the site. (Submitted on March 17, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on March 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.