Trenton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Village of Trenton / The Elk Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery
Side A: The Village of Trenton
Platted 1816. Incorporated as Village 1895. Became a city 1971
Trenton's founder, Michael Pearce, came to the area in 1801. The original village of 33 lots was named Bloomfield. When the post office was established in 1820, it was named Trenton to honor the founder's home state of New Jersey. Pearce's son-in-law, Squier Littell, was the first resident doctor in Butler County. Originally settled by the English, Trenton saw a migration of Germans by 1840. By 1851, the farming community became a grain center with the introduction of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad. Further development occurred when a franchise was granted to operate interurban electric traction cars through the village in 1896. Early commercial endeavors were Dietz, Good & Company grain elevator, Trenton Foundry, and Magnode Corporation. By 1991, the largest industries were Miller Brewing Company and Cinergy/Cincinnati Gas & Electric.
Side B: The Elk Creek Baptist Church & Cemetery
Elder Stephen Gard, Michael Pearce's son-in-law, organized Trenton's first church, Elk Creek Baptist, in 1802. It was the earliest church organized in Butler County. Deacon Michael Pearce, founder of Trenton, donated ground for both the church and cemetery. The first burial was that of Phebe Gard, Stephen
Erected 2003 by The Trenton Historical Society, The Trenton Lions Club, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 28.854′ N, 84° 27.535′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street (Ohio Route 73) and Miami Street / Hamilton Road, on the left when traveling west on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Founder's Park. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton OH 45067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Founder's Park Village of Miltonville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bambo Harris Grist Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Busenbark / Dr. Charles F. Richter (approx. 1.8 miles away); Road of Remembrance (approx. 2.2 miles away); Middletown Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Middletown Korean Conflict Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Middletown World War II Memorial Chapel & Plaza (approx. 3 miles away).
Also see . . . City of Trenton. (Submitted on March 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,345 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.