Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The devastating 1921 San Gabriel River flood destroyed the gin, store and tabernacle, and the new Friendship community developed nearby on higher ground. It prospered with businesses and social events, such as three-day fairs featuring political speeches and rodeos. Following consolidation with Centerville and Enterprise schools, a new Friendship schoolhouse opened in 1923. In 1958, Friendship merged with Granger school, but the economic base of the community throughout its existence, and local farm and ranch families reflected diverse cultures, including Anglo, Czech and African American.
Most residents dispersed in the 1970s, after construction of the Laneport (later Granger) Dam across the San Gabriel River. Allison
Erected 2006 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13614.)
Location. 30° 43.109′ N, 97° 19.288′ W. Marker is in Granger, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Granger Dam Road just from FM971 & CR361, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 Granger Dam Rd, Granger TX 76530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Moravia School (approx. 5.1 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Site of New Bern Church, School, and Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Donahoe Community (approx. 6.8 miles away); Granger High School (approx. 6.9 miles away); Young House (approx. 6.9 miles away); Granger City Hall (approx. 7.1 miles away); A. A. & Mary Spacek House (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 564 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.