Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Former Site of Columbia Theological Seminary
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-6.)
Location. 34° 0.612′ N, 81° 1.755′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Blanding Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Pickens Street and Henderson Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Bible College, 1937-1960 / Westervelt Home, 1930 - 1937 (a few steps from this marker); Hampton - Preston House (a few steps from this marker); Original Site of Winthrop College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of the Good Shepard Site of Columbia Male Academy (about 600 feet away); Columbia Civil Rights Sit-Ins/Barr v. City of Columbia (1964) (about 600 feet away); Colonel Thomas Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilson House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Former Site of Columbia Theological Seminary. A Brief History of the Seminary
From the time of its founding in Lexington, Georgia, in 1828, Columbia has been committed to training persons for leadership in the church of Jesus Christ. Throughout its history, Columbia has nurtured, and has been nurtured by, the Presbyterian Church in the South; this connection continues to be a cherished tradition. While Columbia now enjoys an outstanding national and international reputation, it also faithfully upholds its historic covenants with the Synods of Living Waters and South Atlantic.
In 1830, Columbia, South Carolina, became the first permanent location of the seminary. The school became popularly known as Columbia Theological Seminary, and the name was formally accepted in 1925.
The decade of the 1920's saw a shift
Because the early years in Decatur were difficult, the future of the institution became uncertain. Columbia, however, experienced substantial growth under the leadership of Dr. J. McDowell Richards, who was elected president in 1932 and led the seminary for almost four decades. Following Dr. Richards' retirement in 1971, Dr. C. Benton Kline served five years as Columbia's president. In January 1976, Dr. J. Davison Philips assumed the presidency; he retired eleven years later. Dr. Douglas W. Oldenburg became the seminary's seventh president in January 1987. In August 2000, Dr. Laura S. Mendenhall began her service as Columbia's eighth president.She served nine years and was succeeded on July 1, 2009, by Dr. Stephen A. Hayner, who had been a member of the faculty since 2003.
(Columbia Theological Seminary)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.