Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The bell was mounted atop Wesleyan Hall after the school was donated to the state by the Methodist Church in 1873, at which time the school became State Normal College. The bell was used to call students to class, for ceremonial purposes, and other uses. Around 1910, the bell was removed from Wesleyan Hall and placed in storage. In 1951, the bell was discovered and unsuccessful efforts were made by alumni to display it on campus. During the summer of 2002, the 130-year-old Wesleyan Bell was rediscovered after having been in storage for over 90 years. Construction of the Smith Bell Tower began in March of 2003, and was completed during the summer of 2004. The Smith Bell Tower, present home of the Wesleyan Bell, was dedicated during a ceremony on September 17, 2004.
Erected 2004 by Alumni of UNA.
Location. 34° 48.542′ N, 87° 40.725′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on Wood Avenue Touch for map. Located in front of Wesleyan Bell next to Wesleyan Hall on the UNA campus. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesleyan Hall 1855 (here, next to this marker); Florence State Teachers College (here, next to this marker); 1st Lt. Chadwick McFall Barber (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I Memorial Trees (about 500 feet away); Major General George Washington Goethals' Home (about 600 feet away); George H. Carroll Lion Habitat (about 600 feet away); Locust Dell Academy (about 600 feet away); Coffee High School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . . University of North Alabama 1830. Lion Pride - Landmarks (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 959 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.