Glen Allen in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
As passenger service increased, the entire RF&P line was double tracked between 1902-1907. There were also four new passenger stations built. They were Alexandria (1905), Washington (1907), Richmond (1919) and Fredericksburg (1926).
This car is painted to accompany the Blue and Gray Clipper train in operation until the late 1950s. It was the RF&Pís fastest passenger train covering the 113 miles between Richmond and Washington, D.C. in less than two hours.
In these early coaches, the seats were in two rows with a center aisle. On one side there were two seats and on the other side there was one seat that could swivel. As early as 1934, the coaches were fitted with air conditioning.
Passenger service ended when The National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) took over operations on May 1, 1971.
Erected by County of Henrico.
Location. 37° 40.6′ N, 77° 30.411′ W. Marker is in Glen Allen, Virginia, Touch for map. This marker is located in RF&P Park at Meadow Farm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3600 Mountain Road, Glen Allen VA 23060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Railway Post Office Car (here, next to this marker); Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Company (here, next to this marker); Caboose (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Box Car (approx. 0.3 miles away); Meadow Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Meadow Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glen Allen Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mountain Road (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Allen.
Also see . . . Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Historical Society, Inc. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 665 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.