Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Williams Mill Rd.
July 20, 1864. The Fed. 23d A.C., having camped on the Paden plantation (Emory Univ.), moved to the Williams Mill Road -- the left of its intrenched line, held by Hascallís div. in the area where Druid Hills M.E. Church stands.
The 23d A.C. faced the outer Confederate defense line along Highland Ave., & when that line was abandoned early the 22d, the corps advanced S.W. to the Augustus Hurt plantation on the old Williams Mill Road.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-78.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 46.487′ N, 84° 20.933′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Briaicliff Road (U.S. 23) and St. Augustine Place, on the right when traveling north on Briaicliff Road. Touch for map. The marker is in heavy shrubbery and extremely difficult to see from the street. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30306, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other The March to the Sea (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alpha Delta Pi (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stanley's Sector (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Battles for Atlanta (approx. 0.7 miles away); Augustus Hurt Plantation (approx. 0.7 miles away); Augustus Hurt House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sightless Among Miracles (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sweeny's Division Encamped (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 959 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.