Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Courtland in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Courtland's Early Architecture

(circa 1820-1940)

 
 
Courtland's Early Architecture Marker - Side A image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
1. Courtland's Early Architecture Marker - Side A
Inscription.
Side A
Structures within the Courtland historic district represent over 150 years of changing tastes in building design. Although only a few of Courtlandís earliest buildings survive, the Federal~style architecture of the oldest houses suggest the communityís strong original links with Virginia and other states of the upper South. Typical early residences of frame and brick feature a gable roof with tall chimneys at each end. Sometimes weatherboarding conceals log walls underneath. Many buildings dating from the 1850s through the 1930s reflect Italianate, Victorian and neoclassical architectural influences. There are also early 20th-century “bungalows”, some built of native sandstone. Courtland still counts about twenty buildings predating the Civil War (1861).

Side B
(Continued from other side)
During the early 1800s, an assortment of wooden, brick and log business structures surrounded the town square. Most of the old buildings on the square today (north and east sides) date from the late 1800s and early 1900s. The fronts of some of them feature characteristic Victorian detailing. At the northeast corner of the square are four 19th-century stone mounting blocks placed for the convenience of horseback riders. The tall red cedars seen throughout Courtland and along the streets radiating
Courtland's Early Architecture Marker - Side B image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
2. Courtland's Early Architecture Marker - Side B
from the square have been a feature of the landscape since early days.
 
Erected 1994 by the Courtland Historical Foundation and the Town of Courtland.
 
Location. 34° 39.992′ N, 87° 18.625′ W. Marker is in Courtland, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is on College Street. Touch for map. Located in Courtland Park Square on College Street facing store buildings. Side 2 is facing park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 284 College St, Courtland AL 35618, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers (within shouting distance of this marker); The African ~ American Experience (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion - Post 58 (within shouting distance of this marker); A Cotton Kingdom (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harris-Simpson Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); McMahon House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Courtland.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USMan-Made FeaturesNotable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Courtland Town Square Park image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
3. Courtland Town Square Park
Courtland's Early Architecture image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
4. Courtland's Early Architecture
Courtland's Early Architecture image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
5. Courtland's Early Architecture
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement