Yuma in Yuma County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Oﬃce of the U. S. Army Depot Quartermaster
While not formally designated as the Quartermaster Depot until 1865, the U. S. Army had been using the Arizona site because of its advantageous location for transferring supplies arriving by steamboat. From here, heavy freight wagons carried goods to military post and civilian settlements all over Arizona Territory, from the 1860's until the 1877 arrival of the railroad changed the transportation scene.
After 1875, the Signal Corps maintained a telegraph office and weather station in part of the building, remaining until 1891. Civilian workers for the U. S. Weather Service and U. S. Border Commission occupied the building until 1966. Arizona State Parks Board acquired the building in 1969 and fully restored it in 1987.
Erected by Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North 4th Avenue, Yuma AZ 85364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quartermaster Depot Water Reservoir (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters & Kitchen (within shouting distance of this marker); Southern Pacific Passenger Coach Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Yuma Crossing Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yuma City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yuma Crossing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Masonic Temple – Lodge #17 (approx. ¼ mile away); Napoleon House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yuma.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.