Near Dola in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Comprising 8,000 acres of Brookston-Crosby soils, the marsh is named for Hog Creek which drains it. Once a shallow lake, cranberries, wild flags and grasses flourished here. Reclamation (1868) cost $13.00 per acre. Dredging was done by steam scow; lateral ditches were hand dug by spade. The original grade of 1/3" in 100' proved ineffective for onion, beets and potatoes. In 1949 restored drainage outlets breathed new life for today's soybean and corn agriculture.
Erected 1977 by Heirloomers Club of Dola and Ada and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-33.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 46.569′ N, 83° 43.495′ W. Marker is near Dola, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker is on Ohio Route 81 0.2 miles east of County Route 95, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is about two miles west of the village of Dola, and several hundred feet NE of a tall radio tower. Marker is in this post office area: Dola OH 45835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hull's Trail, 1812 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Hullís Trail 1812 Fort Necessity / William Hull Memorial Park (approx. 4.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Dunkirk Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Hullís Trail (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hull's Trail, 1812 (approx. 4.9 miles away); Ada Passenger Depot, 1887 (approx. 5.1 miles away); Ada Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Report on the Geology of Hardin County. (Submitted on March 23, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Man-Made Features • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,025 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.