Bartlett in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John Lutheran Church
St. John Lutheran Church was formally organized on December 16, 1883. A year later the Rev. Immanuel Glatzle arrived to become the first resident pastor. By 1896 the congregation had acquired more land and erected a small white frame sanctuary. All written records were destroyed in a 1922 fire which burned the parsonage and two outbuildings. Larger facilities were needed by 1931, so a new church structure was built that year. Dedication services were held January 10, 1932. On August 12, 1951, the congregation dedicated its new pipe organ, which at the time was the largest in any Texas Lutheran church.
From its beginning St. John Lutheran Church has served the spiritual and educational needs of the surrounding communities. Although the last German service was conducted in 1942, the church continues to reflect the ideals and traditions of its founders.
Erected 1989 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5038.)
Location. 30° 48.545′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30650 TX-95, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of German-English School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Booker T. Washington School (approx. ¾ mile away); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. one mile away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. one mile away); City of Bartlett (approx. one mile away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. one mile away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.