Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jacob Foos, while surveying the Military Road north from Fort Morrow to Fremont during the War of 1812, dug a well at this site. General William H. Harrison and his troops, on their way to Lake Erie, camped here and drank from the well. This area was known as "Jacob's Well" until the founding of Marion in 1822.
Erected 1975 by The Marion Rotary Club, The Marion County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 34.923′ N, 83° 7.676′ W. Marker is in Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Delaware Avenue (Ohio Route 423) and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Delaware Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Delaware Avenue, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Warren G. Harding (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Marion County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); The Underground Railroad / The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson Norman Mattoon Thomas (approx. half a mile away); Cummins Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harding Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.