Near Winterhaven in Imperial County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Mission San Pedro
Y San Pablo De Bicuner
Erected 1980 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with E Clampus Vitus, Imperial Valley Pioneers, Phil Porretta & Family, Bureau of Land Management, Yuma County Historical Society and Quechan Tribal Council. (Marker Number 921.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 32° 48.982′ N, 114° 30.907′ W. Marker is near Winterhaven, California, in Imperial County. Marker is on West Mehring Road 0.1 miles west of Imperial Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winterhaven CA 92283, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Italians at the Yuma Test Branch (approx. 5.1 miles away in Arizona); World War II Bridge Test Site Camp Laguna (approx. 7.3 miles away in Arizona); Fort Yuma (approx. 8.3 miles away); Fray Francisco Hermenegildo GarcÚs (approx. 8.3 miles away); Site of Mission La Purisima Concepcion, 1780-1781 (approx. 8.3 miles away); Ocean-to-Ocean Highway Bridge (approx. 8.5 miles away in Arizona); A Memorial to the Inmates Who Died at the Arizona Territorial Prison (approx. 8.5 miles away in Arizona). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winterhaven.
More about this marker. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.921 on June 30. 1978.
Also see . . . The Mission and GOLD!. At first, Bicuner Mission was used to warehouse gold brought in from the Potholes and the nearby Laguna Placers, which are located directly across the river from the Potholes. Before long, however, pack trains laden with gold wound their way down from Picacho Peak along No-Name Wash to arrive at Bicuner Mission. Furthermore, weekly shipments of gold from the mines in the Cargo (Submitted on March 27, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.