Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Five Courthouses of Walker County
Repairs made in 1856 did not hold long. The design for the third county courthouse featured a grand jury house in the southwest corner of the grounds rather than inside the courthouse itself. Dubbed "The Little Courthouse," the grand jury house was completed and in use by 1861. Construction on the main courthouse was interrupted by the Civil War; it was finished in 1869 but major repairs were necessary within a couple of years.
On the first day of 1888 the grand jury house was again called into service after the main courthouse burned. The Commissioners Court selected Eugene T. Heiner of Houston to design a new building. The construction contract was awarded to N. Darling of Palestine. Darling set to work in late spring and erected Heiner's vision, replete with Victorian Gothic, Renaissance revival and Italianate details. That structure, the fourth Walker County courthouse, gradually welcomed back the social and religious groups of the county. Other uses included the Walker County Fair of 1912 and a lecture series sponsored by Texas A & M University
The fifth Walker County Courthouse, a modern brick and steel structure, was completed in 1970. It remained in service at the dawn of the 21st century.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12278.)
Location. 30° 43.398′ N, 95° 33.03′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is on University Ave.. Touch for map. Located on courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 University Avenue, Huntsville TX 77342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walker County (a few steps from this marker); Sam Houston Whittling Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Lodge No. 19, A.F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornerstone of the Fourth Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Walker County (within shouting distance of this Site of First Masonic Lodge Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Gibbs Store (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 708 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?