Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Indians camped beside stream; Spanish explorers named it; the first Anglo-American settler was Archibald Willingham, 1851.
College and town of Salado were built on creek, 1860. Stream once had 8 mills, thus was county industrial center. Chisholm Cattle Trail crossed it, as did Dallas-San Antonio Stage Line.
The 35-mile creek is one of many which rise at the Balcones Fault--an outstanding North American region of springs.
Erected 1967 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4493.)
Location. 30° 56.593′ N, 97° 32.242′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. South of bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street Bridges (here, next to this marker); Salado (here, next to this marker); Stagecoach Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Thomas Arnold High School The Davis Mill (about 500 feet away); Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Salado (about 500 feet away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 4. submitted on November 11, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?