Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Marion County Courthouse
This is Marion County's fourth courthouse and the second at this site. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1884. Costing $115,000, it was completed in 1885 by contractors Leffler and Bland. In 1973 the courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1975 the interior was remodeled at a cost of over $900,000.
Erected 1984 by The Marion County Commissioners, the Marion County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 35.329′ N, 83° 7.701′ W. Marker is in Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (Ohio Route 95/309) and Main Street (Ohio Route 4), on the right when traveling west on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N. Main Street, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Underground Railroad / The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Norman Mattoon Thomas (about 600 feet away, measured Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cummins Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home of Warren G. Harding (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Jacob's Well (approx. half a mile away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Harding Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . .
1. Marion County Courthouse. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Marion County Historical Society. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 867 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Distance photo of marker. • Can you help?