Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site: Hendersonís Mill

 
 
Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
1. Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker
Inscription. Some 300 ft N.W. stood the ante and post bellum grist mill owned and operated by Greenville Henderson (1792-1869) and his son Rufus (1823-1872). The flat, left and rt. of this road was the mill pond area; the mill was demolished, 1911.

During the march of the Federal Army of the Tenn. from Roswell to Decatur, Loganís 15th A.C. detoured from Shallow Ford Rd. at Raineyís and moved to Browningís Court House (TUCKER) to support Garrardís foray on the Georgia R.R.

For strategic reasons -- and lack of water at Browningís, the corp. withdrew here and camped night of July 18, 1864. Its march to Decatur was resumed the next day.
 
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 044-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 51.599′ N, 84° 15.143′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Henderson Mill Road 0.1 miles south of Midvale Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is at the exit of the St. Bede's Episcopal Church parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2601 Henderson Mill Road, Atlanta GA 30345, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
2. Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker
Looking northeast on Henderson Mill Road, with the exit from St. Bede's parking lot to the right
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to Decatur (approx. 0.8 miles away); Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur (approx. 0.8 miles away); Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill (approx. 1.5 miles away); Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site: Blakeís Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Browning's Courthouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Garrard's & Lightburn's to Stone Mountain (approx. 2.1 miles away); Federal Left Wing to Decatur (approx. 2.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text at this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USIndustry & CommerceWar, US Civil
 
Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
3. Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker
The marker and the St. Bede's parking lot, site of the mill pond
Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
4. Site: Hendersonís Mill Marker
Looking southwest on Henderson Mill Road
Henderson Mill Creek image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
5. Henderson Mill Creek
The Creek passes under Henderson Mill Road slightly east of the site of the mill.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,455 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on March 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement