Near Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
World War II Displacement
“The Old Farm Went to War”
During the early months of World War II, citizens as well as soldiers made enormous sacrifices for the war effort. In March 1942 the War Department announced plans to build a 13,000-acre munitions manufacturing complex northeast of Marion. Using the power of eminent domain, the U.S. Government purchased the homes and farms of 126 families in the Likens Chapel community. Given only two months to vacate their property, many displaced farmers found the government-appraised values for their land inadequate for buying similar farms elsewhere and [the] growing season too advanced to plant new crops.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The Scioto Ordnance Plant began assembling bombs, shells, and fuses in late fall 1942. It was phased out after only one year as its production became surplus. The adjacent Marion Engineer Depot continued operations for the duration of the war, serving as a distribution point for war material and also as a prisoner-of-war camp. Likens Chapel and cemetery, which stand ½ mile north, is one of few remnants of an entire community sacrificed for the war effort. Though many of the farmers suffered tremendous hardships, most recognized the necessity of their displacement at a time of national crisis.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 36.923′ N, 83° 4.387′ W. Marker is near Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Pole Lane Road (County Road 174) and Chapel Heights Street, on the right when traveling north on Pole Lane Road. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to the Marion Municipal Airport. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1530 Pole Lane Road, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Marion, World War II Prisoners of War (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Marion Engineer Depot (approx. 1.4 miles away); Scioto Ordnance Plant Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); Claridon Prairie (approx. 2.3 miles away); Cummins Home (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Home of Warren G. Harding (was approx. 3.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . .
1. Scioto Ordnance Plant. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Marion Municipal Airport. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. River Valley High School Issues. The school was built on part of the former Marion Engineer Depot/Scioto Ordnance Plant but was closed after an unusually high incidence of leukemia was reported among students/former students of the school. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Government • Heroes • Military • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Likens Chapel and cemetery. • Can you help?