Near Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Marion Engineer Depot
Early in 1942, during World War II, the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers acquired 640 acres along two miles of U. S. Route 30 South (now State Route 309) from ten landowners. By June 11 of that year, the farm families were removed and construction of The Marion Engineer Depot (MED) began, costing $4 million. The first military encampment in Marion County, the 333rd Engineering Regiment, arrived in May and established its camp in a wheat field. They lived in tents while constructing streets and railroad tracks around the Depot. MED was dedicated on December 7, 1942. During the war, food, munitions, equipment, and other military supplies flowed in and out of MED and heavy machinery was renovated. Peak employment came in July 1944 with 1,487 civilian and 47 military personnel on site.
(Continued on other side)
Side B :
(Continued from other side)
The Marion Engineer Depot served the armed forces for 16 more years following World War II. Under protest from state and community leaders, government operations were phased out by June 30, 1961. Through the years, the complex of cement block buildings and open storage sheds was adapted for use by various civilian industries and organizations. Additional users of the area have been River Valley Junior and Senior High Schools, MARCA School and
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Marion County Historical Society and Graham Investments, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 36.497′ N, 83° 2.926′ W. Marker is near Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is on Harding Highway East (Ohio Route 309), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at the Marion Industrial Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3007 Harding Highway East, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Marion, World War II Prisoners of War (here, next to this marker); Claridon Prairie (approx. World War II Displacement (approx. 1.4 miles away); Scioto Ordnance Plant Site (approx. 2.5 miles away); Cummins Home (approx. 4.1 miles away); Home of Warren G. Harding (approx. 4.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . .
1. River Valley High School. The school was built on part of the former Marion Engineer Depot/Scioto Ordnance Plant but was closed after an unusually high incidence of leukemia was reported among students/former students of the school. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Marion Industrial Center. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Scioto Ordnance Plant. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Government • Military • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,120 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.