Near Marble Falls in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Conrad Fuchs House
After the Civil War, he returned here and built a stream grist and saw mill on nearby Tiger Creek. On Sept. 2, 1872, the "Tiger Mill" post office was opened, and Conrad Fuchs named postmaster. Located on the Burnet-Willow City Road, Tiger Mill became the community center for the early settlers in this area.
In the late 1870s or early 1880s, Conrad Fuchs built this house to accommodate the post office and his growing family of 6 children. It was constructed of field stone in the pioneer German style, with a large central hall, shingled roof, and plastered interior. Mrs. Fuchs held school for area children in the home.
After Conrad Fuchs' death, Feb 16, 1898, Mrs. Fuchs sold the property. The house was restored in 1972-73.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9714.)
Location. 30° 31.989′ N, 98° 19.648′ W. Marker is near Marble Falls, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on Stagecoach south of Mountain Dew Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Horseshoe Bay TX 78657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brandt Badger House (approx. 3½ miles away); Dead Man's Hole (approx. 3.7 miles away); 1910 Post Office Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); Marble Falls Factory Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Michel's Drug Store (approx. 4 miles away); The Roper Hotel (approx. 4.1 miles away); Marble Falls School Building (approx. 4.2 miles away); Governor O. M. Roberts' House (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marble Falls.
More about this marker. From Marble Falls, cross the Colorado River Bridge going south on US 281 to FM 2147; take a right on FM 2147, travel southwest about 6 miles to Horseshoe Bay South subdivision. Marker is in the subdivision near the corner of Mountain Dew Road and Stagecoach.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by JoAnn Myers of Burnet, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,396 times since then and 27 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 26, 2010, by JoAnn Myers of Burnet, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Closeup, readable picture of the marker. • Can you help?