Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dillwyn in Buckingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Buckingham Training School

 
 
Buckingham Training School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
1. Buckingham Training School Marker
Inscription. One mile southeast stood Buckingham Training School, the first high school in the county for African American students. In 1919 the Rev. Stephen J. Ellis organized the County-Wide League for School Improvement to persuade the Buckingham County School Board to build a secondary school for black students. When this effort failed, Ellis and his supporters raised $3,000 to match a grant from the Julius Rosenwald Fund, established in 1917 to build schools for black students in the rural South. The four-room high school opened in 1924 with Thomas L. Dabney as principal and served the community until it closed in 1953.
 
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F 62.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
 
Location. 37° 32.607′ N, 78° 28.459′ W. Marker is in Dillwyn, Virginia, in Buckingham County. Marker is at the intersection of North Madison Road (U.S. 15) and South Constitution Route (State Highway 20), on the right when traveling south on North Madison Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dillwyn VA 23936, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gold Mines
Buckingham Training School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
2. Buckingham Training School Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); One-Room Schoolhouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); After Appomattox (approx. 2.8 miles away); Buckingham Courthouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Confederate Soldiers of Buckingham County (approx. 4.5 miles away); Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 4.5 miles away); Buckingham County War Memorial (approx. 4.5 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 4.5 miles away).
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement