Elkton in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
This eight-room brick dwelling was built in 1840 for Dr. Simeon B. Jennings, a former resident of Port Republic. At the time of the Civil War, it was one of only half a dozen houses located in the Conrad’s Store (present-day Elkton) community.
On the evening of April 19, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s 6,000-man army marched by here and into a bivouac that stretched to Swift Run. After Jackson’s men departed on April 30, Gen. Richard S. Ewell’s division crossed through Swift Run Gap east of here and occupied the still-burning campsites for the next two weeks. According to Cpl. Randolph H. McKim, Co. H, 1st Maryland Infantry (C.S.A.), the monotony of camp life was “varied for some of us by visits to Doctor Jennings’, whose charming daughters [Ann, Elizabeth, Virginia, Marietta, Mary, and Malinda] greatly attracted us. ... There we had music and song and bright and merry converse, which speedily banished the memory of the hardships of the past two months.”
After the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic (June 8-9, 1862), Jennings and his wife Barbara ministered to dozens of wounded Confederate soldiers in their house. The more severely wounded soldiers are said to have been placed beneath this giant burr oak, where they were treated before being transferred
In October 1864, during Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s burning of the Shenandoah Valley, Jennings’ nearby flour mill was destroyed by fire.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 24.476′ N, 78° 37.286′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on West Rockingham Street near West Spotswood Trail (Business U.S. 33), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton VA 22827, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Settler (approx. 0.9 miles away); Newtown (East Elkton) School (approx. 1.3 miles away); History of Verbena (approx. 4 miles away); Shield's Advance & Retreat (approx. 4 miles away); Shenandoah Iron Works (approx. 5.3 miles away); Alexander Spotswood Discovers the Valley of the Shenandoah (approx. 5.3 miles away); “Sic Juvat Transcendere Montes” (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkton.
More about this marker. In the lower center the marker displays a
On the upper right is a photo of a bleeder with leather covered case marked “KOLB.” It was used by Dr. Jennings in his practice — and is now on display at the Miller-Kite House Museum located on E. Rockingham St.
On the upper right is a photo of a the Philadelphia brass scales used by Dr. Jennings. They are also on display at the Miller-Kite House Museum.
On the right side is a map of the area described in the text. The map carries the caption, "After the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic, wounded soldiers of Jackson’s army were carried northward, along an old road which paralleled the South Fork of the Shenandoah River, to Dr. Jennings’ residence at Conrad’s Store (now Elton)."
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,521 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.