Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mulberry Street Methodist Church
Because the Georgia Conference was organized on this site in 1831 the church is known as the Mother Church of Georgia Methodism. Originally known as the Macon Church, the name was changed in 1847, to Mulberry Street Church. The Reverend G.N.N. McDonnell founded the pioneer Women’s Missionary Society in South Georgia on this site in 1878.
The last meeting of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was held here in 1939 and was immediately followed by the first meeting of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church. In 1968, the first meeting after union with Evangelical United Brethren was held here.
Former pastors elevated to the Episcopacy include George Foster Pierce, Oscar Penn Fitzgerald, Joseph Stanton Key, William Newman Ainsworth, Frank Lewis Robertson and Charles Welbourne Hancock.
Erected 1992 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 011-23.)
Marker series. This marker is Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 50.346′ N, 83° 37.771′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Mulberry Street. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 719 Mulberry Street, Macon GA 31201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Bibb County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); M. W. Grand Lodge of Georgia (about 600 feet away); The Stoneman Raid (about 700 feet away); Fencing from Findlay Foundry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Asa Holt House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Categories. • 20th Century • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,152 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on March 28, 2010, by James Barry Swindle of Jacksonville, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on November 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on December 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.