Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Woods Hall, 1868
Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in April 1865. For almost two decades, Woods Hall housed the entire university.
In keeping with the University's Military Governance (1860-1903), "The Barracks" -- as the hall was first designated--was patterned after buildings on the campus of The Virginia Military Institute.
Erected by University of Alabama.
Location. 33° 12.794′ N, 87° 32.748′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from 7th Avenue near McCorvey Drive and Stadium Drive. Touch for map. Building # 1214, Woods Hall is located on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gorgas-Manly Historic District (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); B.B. Comer Hall, 1908 (about 400 feet away); The Little Round House (about 500 feet away); Oliver-Barnard Hall Tuomey Hall (about 600 feet away); Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 600 feet away); Storrs Cadet Troop (about 600 feet away); Amelia Gayle Gorgas (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 981 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.