Near Henderson in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Old Spanish Trail – Armijo's Route
Following the "longest, crookedest, most arduous pack mule route in the history of America," Armijo's party and others brought woolen goods to Los Angeles and returned to Santa Fe driving herds of valuable mules and horses. Later termed the Old Spanish Trail, this route was the principal means of transportation between the two Mexican territories, until the end of the Mexican War in 1848.
Erected by Southern Nevada Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office, Department of Cultural Affairs. (Marker Number 141.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Old Spanish National Trail marker series.
Location. 36° 5.861′ N, 114° 54.277′ W. Marker is near Henderson, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on East Lake Mead Drive (Nevada Route 564) 0.1 miles south of Pyrenees Court, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henderson NV 89015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Arrowhead Trail (approx. 7.7 miles away); Bootleg Canyon (approx. 8.2 miles away); McKeeversville, Boulder City's Predecessor (approx. 8.6 miles away); Alunite (approx. 8.6 miles away); Railroad Pass (approx. 8.7 miles away); Boulder City, Nevada (approx. 9 miles away); Hoover Dam Turbine Runner (approx. 9 miles away); Puddler's Break (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henderson.
Also see . . . History of The Old Spanish Trail. The Old Spanish Trail witnessed a brief but furious heyday between 1830 and 1848 as a trade route linking Santa Fe, New Mexico and Los Angeles, California. During that period, Mexican and American traders took woolen goods west over the trail by mule train, and returned eastward with California mules and horses for the New Mexico and Missouri markets. (Submitted on March 29, 2010.)
Categories. • Exploration • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,277 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.