Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Residing here only a short time, Edward Buckles sold the house in 1873 to Colonel Nimrod Lindsay Norton (d. 1903) and his wife Mary (Hall). Colonel Norton, a Confederate veteran, was active in agricultural activities during his residence in Salado and was a charter member of the local grange. He was also a member of the Capitol Building Commission, and donated granite for the Capitol exterior from a quarry he co-owned in Burnet County.
In 1882, Colonel Norton sold the property to John and Kate (Galvin) Orgain, prominent educators in Salado for many years. John served as County School Superintendant; Kate taught at Salado College and Thomas Arnold High School and was a published author. The Orgains resided here until 1907.
Used primarily as a residence by subsequent property owners, the house has also been used as a boardinghouse and inn. It remains a prominent local landmark.
Erected 1991 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3614.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armstrong-Adams House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dodd's Creek Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Anderson Place (about 300 feet away); Home of Wellborn Barton (about 300 feet away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Davis Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Regarding Norton-Orgain House. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Nimrod Lindsay Norton (Submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 873 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.