Haddonfield in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road
Laid out in 1681 over a portion
of the trail of the
Lenni Lenape Indians running from
Perth Amboy to Salem.
Chew’s Landing Road
Used by the
early New Jersey colonists.
This stone commemorates
the spirit of humanity and
kindness existing between the
colonists of New Jersey
Unalachtigo Lenape tribe
the original owners
of these lands.
“Not one drop of our blood have you spilled in battle; not an acre of our land have you taken but by our consent.”
From a memorial to the New Jersey Legislature by Chief Shawuskukhkung.
Erected 1906 by The New Jersey Society of the Colonial Dames of America.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 39° 53.617′ N, 75° 2.452′ W. Marker is in Haddonfield, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Highway and Chew’s Landing Road, on the left when traveling south on Kings Highway. Touch for map. The marker is located on a triangle of land where Kings Highway meets Chew’s
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hadrosaurus foulkii (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hasrosaurus foulkii Sculpture (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Jersey Building (approx. half a mile away); Jonas Cattell (approx. half a mile away); Ye Kings Highway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Reeves-Glover House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Guard House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Indian King Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haddonfield.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.