Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

West Salado Cemetery

 
 
West Salado Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
1. West Salado Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Located in an area populated by former slaves following the Civil War, this cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Jozie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral tradition there may be earlier unmarked burials. The land was officially deeded by Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson for church, school, and graveyard purposes in 1879. While the community's school and two churches are no longer in existence, the cemetery remains as an important link with the area's early black history.
 
Erected 1990 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5761.)
 
Location. 30° 57.484′ N, 97° 32.181′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on West Village Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fowler House (approx. 0.2 miles away); M. H. Denman Cabin (approx. half a mile away); Salado Church of Christ (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Wellborn Barton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dodd's Creek Bridge
West Salado Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
2. West Salado Cemetery
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Norton-Orgain House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Armstrong-Adams House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Anderson Place (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
 
Categories. African AmericansCemeteries & Burial Sites
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement