Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingfisher in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kingfisher

 
 
Kingfisher Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Erickson, March 29, 2010
1. Kingfisher Marker
Inscription. This was the U.S. Land Office site for filing claims at opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889; also at opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J. C. Robberts was first Register, and J. V. Admire, first Receiver. First postoffice, Lisbon, established April 20, 1889: name changed to Kingfisher, July 18, 1889.
 
Erected 1950 by Oklahoma Historical Society and State Highway Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 35° 51.855′ N, 97° 55.974′ W. Marker is in Kingfisher, Oklahoma, in Kingfisher County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 81) and Robberts Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. On the grounds of the Carnegie Library. Marker is in this post office area: Kingfisher OK 73750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kingfisher College (approx. 1.5 miles away).
 
Additional keywords. Chisholm Trail Oklahoma Land Rush
 
Categories. Native AmericansNotable EventsSettlements & Settlers
 
Kingfisher Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Erickson, March 29, 2010
2. Kingfisher Marker
Kingfisher, Oklahoma Mural image. Click for full size.
By Dave Erickson, March 29, 2010
3. Kingfisher, Oklahoma Mural
Mural on newspaper building across the street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2010, by Dave Erickson of Enid, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 1,093 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 30, 2010, by Dave Erickson of Enid, Oklahoma. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement